A kitchen remodel is probably the most exciting and the most challenging project that any homeowner will undertake. Exciting because…who doesn’t want a new kitchen!? Challenging because it’s inconvenient – most of us only have one of them – and living without one makes everyone crave a home-cooked meal!
As kitchen designers, we strive to make the remodeling process as smooth, seamless and enjoyable as possible. A good dose of communication and planning goes a long way toward realizing your dream space.
There are a couple of things to consider in preparing for your project:
• Make a wish list. You’ve lived in this kitchen – or some kitchen – and probably have a pretty good idea of the things you like.
• Think about how you use your existing kitchen and then about how you would like to use it in the future.
• Consider the scope of the project. How willing are you to change things, move walls and impact other areas of the home?
• Establish a budget. Everyone has a number that they need to work within. Consider the value of your home, how long you plan on living there, and how much pleasure it will bring to you and your family.
Your next step is to meet with a design professional. Most designers will provide an initial consultation at no cost/commitment. This is a good time to share the ideas you have put together and to gain some perspective on the project.
Here are a few things to think about for that initial consultation:
• Since this is often the largest remodeling project that homeowners take on, it is very important to consider your connection with your designer. The most successful projects are a result of a harmonious working relationship. Developing good, honest, and open communication at the start of a project is essential to its success
• Be sure to bring all your ideas – pictures, inspiration pieces, even funny/quirky things. It’s a great time to share who you are and what is important to you.
• Set a time limit for the meeting. Everyone’s time is valuable, but that first meeting isn’t the one where you will be making design decisions. It is the meeting where you’ll determine if this is a partnership that will work for you.
The result of a successful project is not only a beautiful, functional and fun space, but a room where you will welcome family and friends, create memories and enjoy awesome meals. Wishing all of Wash Park sunny days, cozy nights, and creative projects!
Your neighbors at Kitchens on Broadway